Welcome to The Mandatory Training Group’s online mandatory training for dentists, orthodontists, dental practice staff and dental locums package. This mandatory training for dentists, orthodontists, dental practice staff and locums e-learning package was developed to meet the required learning outcomes in the Skills for Health’s UK Core Skills Training Framework (CSTF), the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and the Care Quality Commission (CQC) recommendations for health and social care providers.
Dental Practice Staff Mandatory Training
Select from our wide range of mandatory training courses for dental care:
Who is this dental mandatory training package for?
This mandatory training for dentists & orthodontists eLearning package should be completed by dentists and dental practice staff in NHS Trusts and private practices, including:
- Dental nurses
- Dental Technicians
- Clinical dental practice staff
You can also select from our wide range of individual CPD courses in our eLearning for healthcare course catalogue.
Mandatory training courses for health and care providers
Typical beneficiaries of our health and social care statutory and mandatory training courses include:
- Dental Practices
- Private Practitioners
- GP Practices
- Doctors and Medical Locums
- Agency Workers
- Non-Clinical Courses
- Clinical Governance Courses
- Care Homes
- Health Care Providers
- Education Providers
- Registered Nurses
- Mental Health Workers
- Learning Disability Providers
- Allied Health Professionals
- Social Care Workers
- Mental Health Services
- Domiciliary Care Workers
- Care Home Staff.
Meet statutory, regulatory and professional requirements
Our statutory, mandatory and specialist training courses comply with UK Legislation and recommended practice:
- General Dental Council (GDC)
- Care Quality Commission (CQC)
- Health and Safety Executive (HSE)
- Regulation and Quality Improvement Authority (RQIA)
- Healthcare Inspectorate Wales
- Healthcare Improvement Scotland
- National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE)
- Public Health England (PHE)
- Health Education England (HEE)
- Skills for Health UK Core Skills Training Framework (CSTF)
- Qualifications and Credits Framework (QCF)
- Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
- Academy of Medical Royal Colleges
- British Medical Association (BMA)
- General Medical Council (GMC)
- Royal College of Nursing (RCN)
- Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC)
- Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC)
- National Association of Care & Support Workers.
What is covered in this online dentist’s mandatory package?
Our mandatory online training for dentists & orthodontists package covers the following modules:
- Code of Professional Conduct
- Key Legislation and National Guidelines
- Understanding your Role and Responsibilities
- Criminal Convictions
- Fitness to Practice
- CSTF Health and Safety and Welfare, including:
- Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations (RIDDOR)
- Control of Substances Hazardous to Health (COSHH) Regulations
- Display Screen Equipment
- Risk Assessment
- Waste Management
- Bullying and Harassment
- Stress Management
- CSTF Information Governance CSTF, including:
- Caldicott Principles
- Information Security
- Data Protection
- Record Management
- Counter Fraud
- Documentation and Record Keeping
- CSTF Conflict Resolution CSTF, including:
- Effective Communication
- Handling Violence & Aggression
- Managing Risk, Minimising Restraint
- Lone Workers
- Complaints Handling
- Consent Training
- CSTF Equality, Diversity and Human Rights
- CSTF Safeguarding Adults Levels 1, 2 & 3
- CSTF Safeguarding Children Levels 1, 2 & 3
- CSTF Preventing Radicalisation levels 1 & 2
- Mental Capacity Act & Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards (DoLS)
- Mental Health Act
- CSTF Infection Prevention and Control LevelS 1 & 2, including:
- Blood Borne Viruses
- Exposure Prone Procedures
- Spillages and Body Fluids
- Sharps Management
- Clinical Waste Management
- Food Safety Awareness Levels 1 & 2
- CSTF Fire Safety Awareness
- Manual Handling Objects Level 1
- CSTF Moving and Handling of People Levels 1 & 2
- CSTF Resuscitation – Basic Life Support (BLS) Levels 1 & 2, including:
- National Early Warning Score (NEWS)
- First Response
You will be provided with all the individual modules listed above. You can, however, choose the mandatory training modules that are most suited to your specific clinical environment. If you are a locum dentist, dental nurses or technician, please check with your locum agency regarding the specific mandatory training modules you require to meet the compliance requirements.
Course aims and objectives
The Mandatory Training Group’s online mandatory training for dentists & orthodontists packages helps clinicians to meet the statutory requirements of the NHS and private healthcare sector and professional code of conduct.
On completion of each of these mandatory training for dentists & orthodontists, you will be required to complete an online assessment (pass mark of 80%).
If you don’t pass the first, don’t worry! You can take the online test as many times as you need with no extra charge.
On successful completion of each of the online mandatory training for dentists & orthodontists, you will be able to download, save and/or print a quality assured CPD certificate. Our CPD certificate can be used to provide evidence for compliance and audit (recognised internationally).
All of our online training courses and programs are accredited by the CPD Certification Service as conforming to universally accepted Continuous Professional Development (CPD) guidelines.
There are no prerequisites for this dental mandatory training package. However, it is beneficial to also look at the following courses:
- Clinical Governance Training Level 3
- Basic Life Support Training Level 2
- Safeguarding Children Training Level 3
- Safeguarding Adults Training Level 3
The General Dental Council (GDC) Training Requirements
The General Dental Council (GDC) is an organisation that regulates dental care professionals and ensures that these individuals meet the professional standards as set out by the GDC to maintain professional registration. To remain on the register, dental care professionals must achieve and be able to demonstrate a minimum level of Enhanced CPD throughout five years, a description of the requirements is explained in more detail later on in this section. Dental care professionals included on this list are:
- Dental Nurses
- Dental Hygienists
- Dental Technicians
- Clinical Dental Technicians
- Dental and Orthodontic Therapists.
Enhanced CPD Requirements – What this means for you
All dental professionals are required to take part in Enhanced Continual Professional Development to maintain their registration and meet current GDC standards. This is important as it enables you to keep up to date with developments in the dental field. This helps to ensure that you update your knowledge and skills to meet the required and often changing standards and develop as a professional through reflective learning.
For a registered dental care professional, this not only boosts confidence but also allows you to provide and deliver exemplary service, and good quality patient care.
Over a five-year cycle, dental care professionals are required to achieve Enhanced CPD outlined as follows:
- Dentists – 100 hours.
- Dental Therapist, Hygienist, orthodontic Therapist & Clinical Dental Technician – 75 hours
- Dental Nurses & Dental Technicians –50 hours
It is recommended that all GDC highly recommend topics should be achieved within this cycle and should include as a minimum:
- Medical Emergencies – 10 hours per 5-year cycle, preferably 2 hours per year.
- Radiography & Radiation Protection – 5 hours per cycle.
- Disinfection & Decontamination – 5 hours per cycle.
Keeping up to date with topics relating to the following subjects are also recommended as they contribute to patient safety and therefore should be completed within the 5-year cycle.
- Legal & Ethical Issues.
- Complaints Handling.
- Oral Cancer: Early Detection.
- Safeguarding Children and Vulnerable Adults
It is therefore essential that all dental care professionals are aware of what is required to maintain their registration and should ensure that relevant subjects are completed. There are many ways in which good quality Enhanced CPD can be achieved some of which include specific courses pertinent to the chosen topic and E-learning.
Why is mandatory training for dental professionals important?
This mandatory training for dentists & orthodontists e-learning package for dentists and dental practice staff was developed to meet the required learning outcomes in the Skills for Health’s UK Core Skills Training Framework (CSTF), the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and the Care Quality Commission (CQC) recommendations for health and social care providers.
This comprehensive eLearning training package covers all the legislative and medico-legal requirements for dental professionals to work safely and efficiently, as well as minimising litigation.
This online mandatory training for dentists & orthodontists package has been designed for busy dental professionals. It has additional online learning resources that provide more details for learners to refer to during the course and in practice. For those who have completed statutory and mandatory training before, this training package provides you with the critical legal and professional issues as specified in the Skills for Health’s UK Core Skills Training Framework (CSTF).
Mandatory training for dental professionals – meeting employers’ legal obligations
The Mandatory Training Group’s online mandatory training for dentists & orthodontists help UK employers and employees alike to fulfil their legislative obligations. Our mandatory and statutory courses for dental practice staff provide the essential knowledge and understanding as required by regulatory authorities.
To complete these mandatory training for dentists & orthodontists, you will need access to a computer device, e.g., desktop, laptop, tablet or smartphone device.
Our mandatory training for dentists & orthodontists are suitable for:
- Those who are looking to improve their knowledge of the subject area
- Those whose jobs require periodic continuing professional development (CPD)
- Those who need to show evidence as part of their professional registration requirements, e.g., doctors, nurses and allied health professionals
What is the Skills for Health’s UK ‘Core Skills Training Framework’?
There is increasing recognition that there are wide variations in the quality and consistency of healthcare training provided across the UK.
To minimise these challenges, The Mandatory Training Group works with various UK health and social care organisations to develop statutory and mandatory training courses in line with Skills for Health’s UK Core Skills Training Framework (CSTF).
This includes mandatory training courses in the Skills for Health’s UK Core Skills Training Framework – CSTF Statutory Mandatory Training Subject Guide Version 1.5, Skills for Health Clinical Care UK Core Skills Training Framework Subject Guide April 2015 and other awareness courses for health and social care workers.
This mandatory training for dentists & orthodontists E-Learning package was developed in line with the Skills for Health CSTF learning outcomes.
Why train with The Mandatory Training Group?
The benefits of using our accredited e-learning courses in the workplace include:
- National Skills Academy for Health national delivery partner
- The UK accredited e-learning provider
- An approved UK training centre
- Ofqual accredited qualifications
- Nationally recognised CPD certificates
- Free blended learning environment to support existing training
- Access your online training immediately
- Highly interactive e-learning portal
- Substantial cost reductions (no travel fees & other expenses)
- Embrace the benefits of eLearning for healthcare providers
- Significant man hour reductions
- Online training only takes as long as the learners needs
- Low carbon footprint through e-learning
- Over 200 online CPD courses
- Repository of online learning materials and assessment
- Fully qualified and experienced trainers, instructors and assessors
- Subject matter experts and content developers
- Convert your existing classroom courses to e-learning courses
- All training courses based on the latest guidance and best practice
How do I book for care home mandatory training?
Contact our Support Team to discuss your care home mandatory training requirements.