Norway water contamination: Patient dies and thousands unwell after E.Coli foundHarold Saligue
Norway water contamination: Patient dies and thousands unwell after E.Coli found.
A reservoir that supplies drinking water to the island of Askoey in southern Norway is believed to contain E.coli.
A reservoir was closed earlier this week after E. coli was found. File pic
A patient has died and thousands of people have fallen ill after coming into contact with contaminated water.
The victim was taken to hospital with gastrointestinal symptoms on the island of Askoey in southern Norway and later died.
Health spokesman Erik Vigander said campylobacter was found in the patient’s system.
It is the same bacteria identified in other people who have been struck down by illness since E.coli was reportedly found in a reservoir that supplied drinking water for the island.
Mr Vigander said the patient who died on Wednesday also had “a very serious underlying” health disorder and a post-mortem will be performed to determine “the ultimate cause of death”.
A one-year-old from the island died last week of an infection in the digestive tract but it was not clear whether the death was linked to the water contamination.
Around 2,000 people have fallen ill, and since 6 June some 64 have been taken to hospital where medical tests have shown campylobacter was found in at least 36 cases.
Local newspaper Askoeyvaeringen reported there had been safety issues with the waterworks in the Askoey municipality.
Baard Espeli, deputy mayor of the municipality of Askoey, has said that E. coli was found in the reservoir.
Faeces were recently found near the reservoir that supplied part of the island’s drinking water and was closed earlier this week after E. coli was discovered.
Campylobacter is one of the main causes of diarrhoea-related diseases and is considered the most common bacterial cause of human gastroenteritis.
In most cases infections are generally mild but they can be fatal among young children and the elderly.
Most E. coli strains are harmless but some can cause diarrhoea, urinary tract infections, respiratory illness and pneumonia.
Creative Commons Disclosure
About The Mandatory Training Group
The Mandatory Training Group is the leading provider of accredited mandatory and statutory health and social care courses for healthcare professionals across the UK regions.
Click on the links below to find out more about our Infection, prevention and control training courses, programs and qualifications.
- Legionella & Legionnaires Awareness Training – Level 2 Online CPD Accredited Course
- Infection Prevention & Control – Level 2 – Online CPD Accredited Training Course for Health & Social Care
- Food Safety Training – Level 2 Online CPD Accredited Course – Food Safety & Food Hygiene Course for all Sectors